Skip to main content

Thousands of workers’ flock to Australia from the far corners of the world to work and travel for a year (or more). As those reading this might know, a popular visa held for a working holiday is either the subclass 417 or subclass 462 visa. A strict condition for both these visas is that you are only permitted to work for any one employer for a maximum of six months.

Working Holiday – Can I work Longer than 6 Months with an Employer?

If you are in a situation where you want to stay longer then this period, you are generally tough out of luck. However, there are other options you can look into before packing up your backpack and catching the Greyhound to Byron Bay.
Firstly, you may be entitled to apply for an extension for the subclass 417 visa under certain circumstances. Your eligibility for an extension will be dependent on factors such as your regional location and the industry you are employed in.
Secondly, depending on your qualifications, experience and other factors, you may be eligible to transfer to a different visa altogether. This will allow you to stay longer at your current place of employment, and potentially put you on the track to permanent residency.
Each individuals’ situation is unique, so it’s important you get professional advice so that your particular goals can be reached. Contact us today and find a solution to your immigration problems.