Myanmar Citizens can apply to extend their stay in Australia until it is safe to return home
Any citizens of Myanmar currently in Australia on a temporary visa can now apply to extend their stay in Australia until is safe to return to Myanmar.
Recent Australian Government Announcement – Myanmar Citizens can stay in Australia
An announcement on 5 May 2021, by the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alex Hawke MP condemned the ongoing and escalating violence in Myanmar and informed all Myanmar nationals, that are currently in Australian on a temporary visa, that the Department of Home Affairs will be writing to each of them individually to inform them how they will be able to remain in Australia.
If you are a citizen of Myanmar that is currently in Australia on a temporary Australian visa the following policy will apply to you:
- Your current visa will not automatically be extended.
- You will need to apply for a further visa to be allowed to remain in Australia.
- The DHA will be sending you a letter to explain how to remain lawfully in Australia by applying for another temporary visa.
- Your visa options will depend on your current visa and on your particular circumstances.
- You will need to meet all visa criteria including health, character and security requirements. Each application will be considered by the DHA on its individual merits.
- You will be granted a further temporary visa that will extend your stay in Australia until it is safe to return to Myanmar. The DHA has not yet provided any indication as to how long visa extensions will be granted.
If you are a national of Myanmar, in Australia on a temporary visa and you will be receiving a letter from the Department of Home Affairs, you should:
- Make sure that the Department of Home Affairs has your current address and contact information. This will ensure that you will receive your letter from the Department of Home Affairs without any delay.
- Urgently speak with a registered migration agent, if your current temporary visa is about to expire, about lodging a new visa application before your current visa expires.
If you have any doubts about how the recent announcement by the department of home affairs will affect you and your future visa options, feel free to Contact Us. One of our experienced migration agents will provide you with a free initial consultation and explain the best visa option for you.
Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alex Hawke MP – Media Release