You have filled in all the paperwork, gone through the whole immigration process, finally been granted your visa and arrived in Australia, now what? You are probably looking for a place to stay, a school for your children, shops to buy groceries and a job to support your family, the list goes on! You will soon realise in order to do all these, you will need a certain level of proficiency in English to communicate with others in Australia. If you do not speak any English or need help improving, don’t panic!
TAFE Queensland North delivers the free Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP), it is an Australian Government Department of Education and Training funded program that will help eligible migrants and refugees to learn everyday English for free to help them settle confidently into life in Australia.
Eligible new migrants must register for the program within six months of their visa being issued, so it is important to do this as soon as possible after arriving in Australia.
About the AMEP
- Access up to 510 hours of free English lessons and free childcare (if eligible).
- Study practical English for living, working and studying in Australia.
- Learn how to access government and community services.
- Make new friends who have just moved to Australia.
- Get ready for work or study and plan for your future.
- You have been granted an eligible migration visa to Australia and register within six months of receipt of your visa letter.
- You have a family, skilled, humanitarian, spousal or approved temporary visa.*
- You cannot speak/read/write English or need to improve your English.
- You are aged over 18. Some migrant youths aged 15-17 may also be eligible.
Flexible study options
- Study full-time or part-time at locations across Queensland.
- Be supported by a volunteer home tutor if you can’t attend full-time.
- Study online through distance learning.
- Complete your AMEP within five years of arrival in Australia.
How do I enrol?
- Contact Cherine Savage from TAFE Queensland North on 04 4042 2578 or Cherine.Savage@tafe.qld.edu.au and let her know you are interested in the AMEP
- You will attend an interview and complete an English language assessment with an AMEP Case Manager.
- Your AMEP Case Manager will assign you to a class.
- You will be ready to attend classes and start your new journey!